Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Life in My Hands-Xerox Project









I started thinking about how I could relate xeroxed parts of my body to who I am as a person and it made me think about the interaction of my hands with objects during different aspects of my life so I decided to make a sort of tree of my life with branches of my hands and different items that have some meaning to parts of my life. In a way I felt like this was acknowledging the fact that I have a bit more life experience than most of the other students, something that often makes me feel a little out of place or out of time. I was going to explain all of the items on my tree but I think I should leave it up to the viewer's imagination. These are the objects on the tree: band-aid, rain poncho, car, joint, mascara, baby pacifier, baby bottle, condom-one opened, one in package, losing lotto ticket, screwdriver, laptop hard-drive, dice, white-out, pain medication, assorted bandana's, hot sauce packet, super-glue, pop rocks candy, a mini-light. At the top I have my eyes in their glasses mounted on my open hand with two hands covering the area where my mouth would be if the open hand were my face. You could take this as an expression of shock but to me I think it's more an expression of how I've gone through most of my life being a quiet observer, not saying a whole lot, so I'm watching but not contributing my voice. This is something that I'm working on changing even though it has kept me out of trouble at times.

2 comments:

  1. great. I absolutely LOVE your concept so real and ridged. perfect that it goes along with your personality and what you live for and stand by. the design is well thought out and integrated into your every day life. i really love the thought process that went into making this piece. not only is this art but its literally a piece of you and what you hold

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really really cool. i like the condom there. haha i tend to notice weird things. this was really well done i can tell you put a lot of time into it

    ReplyDelete